Wednesday, June 13, 2007

1 Corinthians 1:18

“For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.”

In America, people often talk about how the country is becoming more and more polarized. There are huge ideological gaps between people. If God moves a person to accept the gospel, those barriers ought to be overcome. But at the same time that it breaks some barriers down, it can also put new barriers up.

When I think about what Christ has done for me, I am overwhelmed. His sacrificial life and death were acts of great love and grace. This good news (the gospel) drives me forward with vigor. I live for the gospel and for the glory of my Savior. I am willing to spend, be spent, or even to die in the work of the Lord, spreading His glory. I am willing to do this because of the gospel’s tremendous value. It is the power of God.

But not all people feel as I do. There are many in the world who have not embraced the truth. They are perishing. They view the gospel not as a powerful and glorious truth worth living or dying for but as a story. They may admit that it has truths that one can profit from, but to live your life for it or to give up your life for it, this is inconceivable to them. It is foolishness to them.

No comments: