Tuesday, July 31, 2007

1 Corinthians 3:10-11

"According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building upon it. Let each one take care how he builds upon it. For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ."

In ministry, there are starters, continuers, and terminators. Some people blaze completely new territory, doing things that have never been done before. Others pick up the work that has been started by others either continuing it after the same manner or else going astray from the original intent.

Whatever is done, it must be done with the right attitude and the right focus. The attitude must be one of humility and trust in the Lord. The work that you do must be “according to the grace of God.” You cannot do the work by your own efforts. And not only must it be done by God’s grace, it must be actually built upon Christ. He must be the focus of the work. If people think that the ministry they are doing is built on their own efforts, they will fail to recognize God’s grace in the work. And if people fail to build on Christ, they will simply fail.

Christ is my sure foundation. As I engage in the work ahead of me or the work that I am doing even now, I must look to Jesus. Weather I am blazing new trails or continuing the work started by others, I must take care to ensure that my dependence is solely rested upon the savior. All else is of little to no value.

No comments: