Thursday, August 23, 2007

1 Corinthians 4:14-17

"I do not write these things to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children. For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel. I urge you, then, be imitators of me. That is why I sent you Timothy, my beloved and faithful child in the Lord, to remind you of my ways in Christ, as I teach them everywhere in every church."

When we are confronted with our sin from the Bible, the purpose is not to make us feel bad about ourselves. The purpose is to bring about change in our lives. The Bible points out our pride, arrogance, and high-mindedness not to make us look bad (though we are bad) but to make us humble. The purpose of addressing the problem is the fixing of the problem.

Paul knew that the actions of the Corinthians were inappropriate. And he took steps to correct them. Apparently Paul had a very direct, intimate involvement with their coming to Christ for salvation, so much so that he calls himself a spiritual father to them. He knew what had happened in the people's lives because of Christ, and now he calls them to remember what they had learned from watching him. Paul even sends Timothy so that Timothy could remind them of how they were to follow Paul's example of walking in Christ.

At first, it seemed strange to me that a person would encourage others to do what he does. But Paul knew that He was walking with the Lord and that they would profit from following his leadership. I do not know that I would ever verbally encourage a person from following my example. But people follow other people all the time. I need to make sure that my life is worth following. And that following my example, someone would know what is right. It's a lofty task. But though I fail, I must endeavor to succeed.

No comments: