Tuesday, November 27, 2007

1 Corinthians 9:1-2

"Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are not you my workmanship in the Lord? If to others I am not an apostle, at least I am to you, for you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord."

The non-inspired heading for this chapter reads, "Paul surrenders his rights." It could just as well read, Paul defends and surrenders his rights. Before surrendering what was rightfully his, he made it clear that he could have justly claimed it. The Corinthians had called his position and his privileges into question.

Of all people, the Corinthians had cause to recognize Paul's authority. Perhaps they recognized it in others, but Paul's refusal to insist that his rights be given had lead them to take him for granted. It is sad but not surprising that someone who did so much for the believers would be taken for granted. We need to recognize the value of what those close to us have done for us and give them the respect that is due them. Otherwise, we will be guilty of gross ingratitude.

No comments: