Monday, May 19, 2008

1 Corinthians 13:6-7

"It does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."

Some in the world rejoice at wrongdoing because they want to see evil triumph. No true Christian desires this. But how would you react if you knew that your pastor or some other prominent church member was wrongly accused of something? Would you rejoice at your newfound opportunity for personal advancement? If so, you do not love him as you should and are worthless. You should rejoice that the truth is known, regardless of the effect it has on your personal aspirations.

Neither should you wait with eager anticipation for that truthful accusation of someone else that will propel you forward. Real problems need to be addressed and dealt with, but we shouldn’t ever want to see someone fall. We should love others so much that we are willing to suffer wrong, enduring it, hoping and believing that the people who wrong us are growing and will realize their error. All the while we are patient and kind, loving them in every way possible.

My mother is a wonderful example of this to me. When she was helping someone who was making some selfish and self-destructive choices, I encouraged her to cut the person off. I will never forget my mother’s response. She said “I just thought that (s)he would make the right choice this time.” At the time, I thought “How foolish. That person is never going to make the right choice.” Now I think, “How loving. My mother saw bore and endured many things from that person, hoping and believing that (s)he would come to walk in the truth.”

No comments: