Monday, June 23, 2008

1 Corinthians 13:9-13

"For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known. So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love."

Our knowledge and understanding are not complete. But God has given us all we need to know to be rightly related to Him at this time. Though His word, we know quite a lot about God, but we do not know everything. We have many questions because God's Word contains many paradoxes. For now, these mysteries remain, but there will be a time when our understanding of God will go far beyond its current level.

Then we will have full knowledge. When we look at a child's limited understanding of the world, it often results in chuckles and smiles for us. Someday when we are face to face with our Savior, we will look back on our limited understanding and think "I knew nothing at all." And if we, in heaven, were to look upon our desire for gifts that would increase our influence, we would realize that we were pursuing the wrong thing. We should have been pursuing things that last. Faith lasts; hope lasts; love lasts. Let's pursue what is best—love.

No comments: