Thursday, July 17, 2008

1 Corinthians 14:36-38

"Or was it from you that the word of God came? Or are you the only ones it has reached? If anyone thinks that he is a prophet, or spiritual, he should acknowledge that the things I am writing to you are a command of the Lord. If anyone does not recognize this, he is not recognized."

The man who communicates God’s truth is not the author of that truth, he is a vessel through which that truth flows. God did not use me or you to write the Bible and even those whom He used to write the Bible didn’t write their own ideas. They communicated what God directed them to write. Therefore, the one who communicates truth is subject to truth, that is the Bible. What I say must agree with the Bible.

Only arrogance could motivate me to assume that I get to decide what I say or that I am the only one who can communicate God’s truth. Just as it was arrogance that motivated some Corinthian believers to assume their prophecies were correct even when they contradicted previously revealed truth.

My words must be ruled by the word of God. If I reject God’s word, I must be rejected.

No comments: