Tuesday, November 18, 2008

1 Corinthians 15:27-28

"For 'God has put all things in subjection under his feet.' But when it says, 'all things are put in subjection,' it is plain that he is excepted who put all things in subjection under him. When all things are subjected to him, then the Son himself will also be subjected to him who put all things in subjection under him, that God may be all in all."

Christ is always victorious. He is the supreme ruler of all that has been created. If something is, it is subject to Him. And yet, even He is in subjection to the Father. Our world is in rebellion. Christians are often in rebellion. I have a deeply rooted rebellious strain in my heart. But we are all all under Christ.

The Father put the Son over us all. We may buck against this. We may deny it, but it is reality. The stars, the moon, and all heavenly bodies; the trees, the wind, and the clouds; the whales, the bears, and the insects—they all praise God. They are in subjection. One day all people shall recognize God’s absolute authority. And finally, death itself will be in subjection.

If this is Jesus’ position, who am I? What right do I have to do as I please? How can I call His actions into question? I am small; I have no right to act independently; I can ask questions, but I must not question.

No comments: