Sunday, August 22, 2010

1 Timothy 1:8-10

"Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it lawfully, understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine."

Ever since the fall, the purpose of the law has been to show mankind that we are not right with God (and that we cannot make ourselves right with Him). The law was never a means of earning favor with God. The law is for unbelievers, to show them that they too are sinners. It reveals that man is not capable of fulfilling God's standard.

If an employer had a lazy employee whom he never corrects, how will the employee know that his boss wants him to change? He cannot know. God has not left us wondering like that. We have His law recorded in the Bible (and written on our hearts). The law reveals that man's way, though right in his own eyes, is against God.

My prayer: God, I thank you for giving me your law. I thank you for revealing my sinfulness. I thank you for revealing my lawlessness. And I thank you for sending your son to fulfill Your law. I could never meet Your standard. All the best that I can muster is altogether unholy and profane. But You have made me just. I could never keep Your law perfectly. But Your Son died for me. When I look to Your law, I rejoice to know that You have kept it for me. It is not on me.

No comments: