Thursday, April 4, 2013

1 Timothy 2:1


"First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people"
Because of the high stakes nature of spiritual ministry dealt with in chapter one, Paul now urges Timothy toward something of great importance. He urges him to pray, but this is no casual urging. Paul uses language the conveys the idea of pleading to the point of begging that "first of all," of greatest spiritual importance, if we are to have a whole ministry, we must pray.
And Paul doesn't just stop the superlatives leading up to the call to prayer. In the call to prayer, he uses four words to describe our prayer ministry.
  1. Supplication - making request
  2. Prayers - general communication
  3. Intercessions - prayers for others
  4. Thanksgiving - expressing gratitude to God

Before we do anything, we are to talk to God about everything. Before we minister to anyone, we are to talk to God about everyone.
How often do I act alone? I make supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings last of all. When all I have done fails, I ask God why He isn't working. How presumptuous! How faithless!
My prayer: God, transform my priorities. In life and ministry may I pray first of all.

No comments: