Saturday, April 14, 2007

1 Peter 3:8-9

“Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind. Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing.”

These directives are for everyone. Regardless of position or status in life, there are some things that must be true.

I must have unity of mind with other believers. This is challenging. We all think so differently. I would be hard pressed to find another person with whom I agree about everything. And some people (even fellow Christians) do things that elicit jaw dropping shock and horror. How can I have unity of mind with people when God has made all of our minds so very different? Unity of mind must be an agreement or oneness that goes beyond our own natural tendencies and personal preferences. We must have a willingness to work together in unity for the truth, a determination to accomplish what God has for you even when you do not necessarily find yourself agreeing with those around you.

I must have sympathy. When I see someone with a need I should not try to avoid him. I should not harden my heart to the suffering of others.

I must have brotherly love. This would certainly help with the unity of mind challenge. I must put other people above me and show them love even it is at my own expense.

I must have a tender heart. While I was an undergraduate ministerial student I heard many different people come and present different fields where they were ministering. Almost without fail, after they presented the field, I thought I should go there. I felt an interest in helping meet the need presented. I don’t think that this was a bad thing. I have to guard against instability, but I also need to allow myself to be touched with the needs of others and be willing to help when I am able. And I am always able if at least by prayer.

I must have a humble mind. I must not think of myself as being above any other person. To do so would be sin. I should be willing to put others in a position of greater importance than the importance I put on my own life. This serves as the glue to hold all these command together, enabling someone to obey them.

Unfortunately, even when you aspire to be characterized by these virtues (and even when you are succeeding), people will not always respond positively. And that is when these directives are put to the test. Sure I can develop unity, sympathy, love, and humility when dealing with an amiable person. My wife is a great example. We have a wonderful life together. I think it’s because she is such a wonderful person. But what will I do when I try to live this way and someone speaks evil of me or does evil to me? Can I show love to someone who has just mocked me or cursed me or hurt me physically? How can I have sympathy for that person? My normal response would be to strike back or to return insult for insult. But I am directed to another response. I must be a blessing to that person. I must help that person and speak kindly and compassionately. That’s mad, crazy hard! But this is my calling. It is God’s plan for my life. And if I do these things, I will be blessed.

No comments: