Wednesday, May 16, 2007

1 Peter 4:14-16

“If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. But let none of you suffer as a murderer or a thief or an evildoer or as a meddler. Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in that name.”

Insults given for the name of Christ are delivered because of the blessing of God. When a person’s actions are in harmony with God’s nature that person is displaying God’s holy attributes and the Spirit of glory rests on that person’s life. This brings brings glory to God and great blessing to you. But you will be attacked. There are those who are enemies of God, and when you are following the divine example, you make yourself a target. They attack you to attack God. When that happens to you, you should consider it to be a blessing, because you know that you are displaying Christ.

But while there is blessing for suffering for being like Christ, there is only shame for suffering for your sin. If you suffer because of sinful choices, you were not being like Christ and your choices are not blessed. You will live with the knowledge that your suffering was due to your sin and it did not glorify God. Unfortunately this is the suffering that we tend to experience most frequently. Thankfully, even these kind of choices can be repented of and forgiven.

We should not seek suffering. We need to try to be like Christ. And when we are mocked, we should face it without shame.

2 comments:

Tore said...

Wow. That is very encouraging. I feel compelled to tell you that I have known that God wants me to be a missionary out in the Communist countries. I am not saying this so you can 'ooo ahhh' me I am saying this because what you said gave me great strength. Now, I have never been afraid of going to China, but you gave me reassurance of what I know what God has called me to be. Thank you!

loukness said...

I'm glad to know that the Lord is directing and strengthening you. And thanks for the words of encouragement.