Tuesday, October 16, 2007

1 Corinthians 6:18-20

"Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body."

The first reason given for avoiding sexual immorality was that our bodies were not made for sexual immorality, and the second was that our physical bodies are spiritually joined to Christ. And now we read that our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit and our bodies are not our possession. They have been paid for by Christ's death. We have been purchased.

All sin is bad, but sexual sins, for the Christian, are particularly severe. Before a Christian engages in immorality, he needs to stop and think about what he is doing. Not only is he breaking God's law and thus dishonoring God. But he is sinning "against his own body," and because of the relationship between God and his body, he doubly dishonors God.

Even with the higher stakes, the sexually immoral person can be forgiven. But let us avoid that need. We are God's, and He intends for us to bring Him glory through our bodies.

2 comments:

Fainter said...

I have been searching and searching and searching and searching for what seemed forever about something like this. Because of your blog and devotional writing I immediately felt the presence of God our Father again. I have been feeling separated and gloomy and depressed because of my sin against God and my body. I feel that God has forgiven me now and that I can MOVE FORWARD in his joy and peace and humility. There is soooooooooooo much I want to say. But OMG! WOW! THANK THE LORD. ALL GLORY TO HIM!!! God used you to help me. I am in a state of dumbfoundedness. Bless you forever!!!!!

loukness said...

Dear Fainter, I praise God with you that He is using His word in your life. I have been doing my devotions offline, in my journal, for quite a while now. Your comment has lead me to reconsider starting my online interaction with the Bible again.