Monday, December 10, 2007

1 Corinthians 9:15-18

"But I have made no use of any of these rights, nor am I writing these things to secure any such provision. For I would rather die than have anyone deprive me of my ground for boasting. For if I preach the gospel, that gives me no ground for boasting. For necessity is laid upon me. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel! For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward, but if not of my own will, I am still entrusted with a stewardship. What then is my reward? That in my preaching I may present the gospel free of charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel."

Ministers of the gospel are blessed with opportunity to work with the life-changing truth of God’s word on a daily basis. It is everyone’s responsibility to do this, but most people have other work responsibilities that naturally divide their time. The minister gets to do it all the time. This is undoubtably a privilege, but it does not earn him any special favor with God.

If a person does something kind because he chooses to, we put greater value on his kindness than if the same person does the same kind act when it is required of him. For the minister, sharing the gospel is a requirement (in addition to being a privilege). I would argue that it is also a necessity for every other believer, but the focus here is on the minister. Even if the minister doesn’t feel like delivering the gospel, it is his stewardship—his responsibility. He must do it, and there is no special reward for doing what is required of him. There is, however, a special reward for forfeiting his just right to receive compensation for doing this work.

What can those of us who don’t preach the gospel for a living learn from this? There are rewards for surrendering your rights. You have the Christian liberty to surrender your rights for the weaker brother. To fail to do so is disruptive for them and will bring consequences to you, but surrendering your rights protects the weaker Christian and brings rewards to you.

No comments: