Friday, December 28, 2007

1 Corinthians 9:20-23

"To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law. To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings."

These verses scream cultural adaptively to me, but they are so often misused. What does it mean to be all things to all people? Does it mean that you do whatever you have to for the gospels sake? Are there no boundaries? Some would say that the propagation of the gospel can be accomplished by any means necessary and that to engage your culture you must become like your culture. But I don’t believe that the text warrants such a position.

We are dealing with the need to become a servant by surrendering your rights. We are to meet people where they are and point them to Christ, but there are limitations as to how we can do this. To win the legalist, you may not put yourself under the law. You recognize their need and serve them, adapting to their mindset, but you do not disregard your spiritual freedom from the law by putting yourself under the law. Such an action would be destructive and would keep them from properly understanding the gospel.

Likewise, when dealing with the irreligious, you cannot forget who you are in Christ by becoming irreligious in order to minister to them. You can give up your rights, but you must not surrender the gospel or what it has done in your life. Your relationship with Christ should drive you to show people more love. You should long to see other people share in the blessings of the gospel. Give up your privileges and minister, but do not give up your relationship with Christ.

No comments: