Wednesday, April 9, 2008

1 Corinthians 11:16

"If anyone is inclined to be contentious, we have no such practice, nor do the churches of God."

Does this mean 1) if some people don’t agree, don’t be contentious about this issue, just let it be, or does this mean 2) don’t be contentious about this issue, simply obey? I think that the second interpretation is intention of the statement, but I also believe that the first is true.

The text seems to be urging the people not to resist obeying. We might say "This is our practice regarding head coverings; it is not our practice to be contentious, so don’t be." That being said, if some disagree (as most do), I should not be contentious either. Whether or not others should do this or that is not as important to me as doing right personally. God does not hold me accountable for other people’s choices; He holds me accountable for my choices.

No comments: