Saturday, September 4, 2010

1 Timothy 1:13

"Though formerly I was a blasphemer, persecutor, and insolent opponent. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief."

Paul once ignorantly lived in violent opposition to the gospel. This ignorance was not ignorance of the message of the gospel. For though he heard Stephen clearly testify of Christ's fulfilling the Old Testament, Paul approved of Stephen's execution and proceed punished other Christians for their faith in Christ (Acts 7-8). Paul's ignorance was his unbelief.

Unbelievers often hate believers for no apparent reason. Believers go about doing good, and they are hated for it. Why? Unbelievers hate Christ and His followers because the unbelievers are spiritually ignorant of the good that obedient Christians are doing for people and for God's glory. The most educated of unbelievers will often have an ignorance fueled hatred for Christ that extends to those of us who follow Him.

We who are trusting Christ should be aware that the boldest, most intelligent opponent of the gospel is acting in ignorance. We should love our enemies. We would be like them were it not for God's saving grace in our lives. And who but God knows if our faithless persecutors will soon turn to Christ, becoming our brothers and sisters.

My prayer: You are full of mercy and power. You take those who hate You, and You completely change them. You have done it so many times. There is no one who is outside Your reach. I am truly small. And knowing some of my own limitations, I seek to limit You unnaturally. But You can do whatever You please. You can change those whom I would assume are without hope. You have done it and continue to do it. How You display Your power in Your grace! Father, help me to remember these things. And keep me from ever hating those who hate me.

No comments: