Monday, March 5, 2007

1 Peter 2:11-12

"Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul. Keep your conduct among the Gentiles honorable, so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation."

As an American who lives in Korea, I am a foreigner. There are certain practices common to Koreans that I just don't do, eating silk worm pupa for example. The very smell of the stuff is absolutely revolting to me. Then there are other things that I'm not even aware of that I don't do just because I'm not familiar with the norm. As a Christian in the world, I am to be a foreigner who abstains from the sinful, fleshly practices of this present age.

Those without Christ live passionately for the satisfaction of the flesh, and they often deny any that what they do is wrong. We are told "to abstain from the passions of the flesh." Our abstinence from immoral behavior keeps unbelievers from speaking evil against us. They see our good deeds and give God glory. They may not say, "praise the Lord for His good work in that believer." But they might say, "there is something special about that man." They recognize that something sets the person apart.

Though people may speak as though there is nothing wrong with immorality, I should be a testimony to them of what is right.

No comments: