Monday, February 26, 2007

1 Peter 2:9-10

"But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy."

Unlike those destined to stumble at Christ we are a chosen race. Christ, without any consideration of our lack of inherent value chose that we would be "a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession." I am not my own. I am Christ's possession. And I am to live to praise His name. He called me from guilt and darkness to liberty and light. I once was without identity and my life was without meaning, but now I am God's. Once I was the object of the Father's righteous wrath, but now I have received mercy.

How unworthy I am to receive such things. There is nothing in me that merits God's love. And yet I (who was an alien, a foreigner, and an enemy) am now a citizen who has been show great mercy and given many undeserved privileges.

No comments: