Wednesday, February 14, 2007

1 Peter 1:22-23

"Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart, since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God"

It seems the command to "love one another" comes sandwiched between two statements dealing with salvation. My soul has been purified because of obedience to the truth. I have been born again through the living word. And because of this, I am to love my fellow Christians with purity and earnestness.

My second birth was not of the flesh; it was a spiritual birth. My spiritual birth is imperishable and it came through the eternal word. This spiritual birth is not fleshly. Therefore I should not treat my spiritual brothers in a fleshly manner. I should love them in purity and with all earnestness.

No comments: