Wednesday, February 7, 2007

James 4:5-6

"Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, "He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us"? But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble." "

The rhetorical question in verse five explains the severity of making ourselves the enemy of God by giving our heart to the things of the world. God doesn't want us to be divided in our affections. Spiritual adultery is a serious thing, and we are reminded here that unfaithfulness will have repercussions. The rhetorical question must be answered with a no! There is a purpose. When we are spiritually unfaithful, we will feel the effects. But that doesn't mean that God is going to look down from heaven and zap us. Instead, He will give me more grace. In my pride and selfishness, I became God's enemy, and I was humbled. Then, I knew His grace, and because I knew His grace, I was humbled all the more. God's grace is perhaps the most effective motivation that I know to avoid sinning.

No comments: