Saturday, February 24, 2007

1 Peter 2:6-8

"For it stands in Scripture: "Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious, and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame." So the honor is for you who believe, but for those who do not believe, “The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone,” and “A stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense.” They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do."

Christians are built on Christ, the cornerstone, the foundation. He is chosen and precious. If we believe in Him, we will not be put to shame. We will be given honor. But if we stumble and reject the cornerstone, we are without a foundation and without honor. This obviously has salvation as its primary focus, but I think that we can compare it to something else.

All that is for and through Christ has eternal value. That which is preoccupied with this world is fading and will be brought to nothing. If my treasure is here on earth, when I am with Christ, where will my honor be? I need to sacrifice the earthly for the spiritual. Perhaps that is what a spiritual sacrifice is. This thought occurred to me yesterday when I was reading in Matthew 6. We store up treasure in heaven, accounting things of this world to have little value. Thus we make spiritual sacrifices.

No comments: