Wednesday, February 7, 2007

James 2:12-13

"So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty. For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment."

This is the second time that the "law of liberty" is mentioned in this book. In the first instance, I was instructed to persevere in obedience. The paragraph before the first reference said to avoid anger and be slow to speak. The paragraph after said to bridal my tongue and visit those in affliction. Before the second occurrence of the phrase, I was warned against showing partiality. If we show partiality, we are breaking the law. Therefore, I must speak and act with the knowledge that I am to be judged under the law. That's frightening.

What should be my reaction? I should show mercy. If I show mercy, I will not be judging. If I show mercy, it will triumph over the desire to judge. We were told that showing partiality reveals that we are making ourselves judges. If one who is less fortunate comes unto me, I should show him mercy. If I fail to do this, I are judging, and I shall be judged for it.

No comments: